Thursday, October 18, 2007

Summer Palace

Towards the end of these conferences, the organizers usually take us
out somewhere cultural and feed us. Thursday afternoon we all got on
a bus and went to the Summer Palace, which is where the Emperor(s)
used to go to get away from the Forbidden City. A sort of Imperial
Chinese Camp David, I guess.

We ended up walking around for maybe three hours, which was great
since I'd been feeling pretty stagnant. And then the dinner was sort
of amazing. I think I had better food in Hohai, but the Summer Palace
had that place beat in terms of sheer fanciness.

So at the dinner I was just stuffing all kinds of food in my face
without really bothering to ask what it was. Long story short, I ate
some jellyfish without really realizing. It just looked like noodles,
but really, really chewy noodles. It tasted ok, but the chewing was
so much work that I just moved on to more efficient food.

3 comments:

Grandma said...

I'm sure enjoying your blog, Daniel, makes me see China in a more personal way. Thank you so much for doing this. Will you get to see the Great Wall??

Unknown said...

Your pictures are gorgeous. I am subsuming my jealousy that you are getting to see so many beautiful places by being happy I get to vicariously take part. Thanks for the pictures, sweetheart! I want to go to China.

Daniel Bowring said...

No, sadly there's no trip to the Great Wall this time. To see one of the better, more intact sections would require a whole day and there just isn't time. Next time I'm in China I will definitely go!

About Me

My photo
Daniel is a grad student at UVA, working on his PhD at Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility in Newport News, VA. His girlfriend lives in California. Daniel's work will take him to China this month, hence this web-log.