Saturday, October 27, 2007

Halloween!



First: Oh my sweet goodness I am jetlagged. I can't really sleep for more than four hours at a time, but I feel most of the time like I could curl up in a corner and sleep for about four hours.

Today I woke up and realized that Anaïs and I had a Halloween party to go to tonight. I especially wanted to go - if just for a tiny little while - to met her fellow grad students. But this meant we had to get costumes, which meant we had to go shopping.

Let me make this clear: I am usually dead set against buying a costume. My tastes are most certainly not store bought. Still, I wasn't going to carry a Halloween costume all the way through China just for two hours of party afterwards. So anyway, we went shopping.

There are three or four costume shops all within walking distance of Santa Cruz's downtown area, and they are all identical in that they only sell costumes for girls with low self-esteem. There were, practically speaking, no costumes for boys. And all - absolutely all - of the costumes for girls were of the Sexy _____ variety. Sexy Cats. Sexy Nurses. Sexy Cheerleaders. Even - I swear I swear - Sexy Bumble Bees. Where are the creepy tasteless masks? Where are the vampire costumes? (I mean besides the Sexy Vampire costumes.) Clearly we were not shopping in the right places.

So I went with the perennial favorite Sexy Cat (see first photo). Although judging from what people said I'm not sure I really "got" it. Anaïs is more original-minded than I am and made her own costume: Sexy His Holiness The Fourteenth Dalai Lama (see second photo).

The party itself was loud and full of drunk undergraduates so we mainly talked outside. Happy Halloween everybody!

My flight back to DC leaves from San Jose tomorrow morning at 7 am. I imagine this will not help my jet lag situation.

4 comments:

michelle said...

i LOVE both of your costumes. excellent work.

Unknown said...

Thanks! Daniel gives me all the credit for mine, but really it was him who convinced me that we could make it work. As an addendum, a friend of mine at the party (and fellow politics grad student) had what I thought was the most brilliant costume - she was a dissertation fairy, complete with a strategically placed light-bulb and a bag full of dissertations such as "Abraham Linkin: The Emancipation Proclamation and other Pick Up Lines"! Oh my goodness the delightful nerdiness!!

michelle said...

that's hilarious! and by the way, hi anais (sorry I don't know how to put the dieresis over your "i")! nice to meet you over the comments section of daniel's blog! though we may have met at w&m, way back when... :)

Samantha said...

I love your explaination for your costumes. I have been ranting about women's halloween costumes for YEARS. Like, is it really necessary to be slutty, no matter what you are trying to be? And these types of costumes are getting younger and younger, meaning 12 year olds are walking around like this.

Anyhow, I'm glad you had fun, and I love you both.

S

About Me

My photo
Daniel is a grad student at UVA, working on his PhD at Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility in Newport News, VA. His girlfriend lives in California. Daniel's work will take him to China this month, hence this web-log.